I grew up with this easy, one pot meal called Charquicán, it is truly a perfect cold-weather comfort food. Traditionally, it is made with potatoes and corn but I gave it a little carb conscious makeover and swapped out potatoes with cauliflower - and it is AMAZING! Tested, proven, delicious :) Let me know your thoughts!!
1 tablespoon avocado oil
½ yellow onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup beef broth
1 pound frozen cauliflower, chopped
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
(fried egg to serve on top- optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large saucepan (large enough to hold the beef, cauliflower, and squash)
2. Cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Add the ground beef, cumin, paprika, and salt, cooking over high heat until the beef is almost cooked through. (Stirring the meat mixture occasionally)
3. Reduce the heat, add the broth, and top with the cauliflower and squash.
4. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the cauliflower and squash are cooked through and easily pierced with a fork.
5. With a potato masher or fork, mash the cauliflower and squash, mixing it in with the beef.
6. Serve hot (topped with a fried egg- optional!)
Nutrition (using My Fitness Pal)
Net carbs: 9.1 g
Carbs: 12.2 g
Fiber: 3.1 g
Fat: 20.6 g
Protein: 24.5 g
15% carbs, 56% fat, 30% protein